A.15 Lessons report
The lessons report is used to pass on any lessons that can be usefully applied to other projects.
The purpose of the report is to provoke action so that the positive lessons become embedded in the organization’s way of working, and that the organization is able to avoid any negative lessons on future projects.
A lessons report can be created at any time in a project and should not necessarily wait until the end. Typically it should be included as part of the end stage report and end project report. It may be appropriate (and necessary) for there to be several lessons reports specific to the particular organization (e.g. user, supplier, corporate or programme).
The data in the report should be used by the corporate group that is responsible for the quality management system, in order to refine, change and improve the standards. Statistics on how much effort was needed for products can help improve future estimating.
- Executive summary
- Scope of the report (e.g. stage or project)
- A review of what went well, what went badly and any recommendations for corporate or programme management consideration. In particular:
- Project management method (including the tailoring of PRINCE2)
- Any specialist methods used
- Project strategies (risk management, quality management, communications management and configuration management)
- Project controls (and the effectiveness of any tailoring)
- Abnormal events causing deviations
- A review of useful measurements such as:
- How much effort was required to create the products
- How effective was the quality management strategy in designing, developing and delivering fit-for-purpose products (for example, how many errors were found after products had passed quality inspections?)
- Statistics on issues and risks
- For significant lessons it may be useful to provide additional details on:
- Effect (e.g. positive/negative financial impact)
- Whether there were any early-warning indicators
- Whether the triggered event was previously identified as a risk (threat or opportunity).